Student Computing at Syracuse University
Syracuse University's Information Technology Services (ITS) provides a wide range of computing services and facilities for students, including high-speed wired and wireless (AirOrangeX) Internet connections in the residence halls and across campus, e-mail, file storage space on the SU network, Web hosting services, online academic and personal information resources through MySlice, and computer labs equipped with specialized academic software technologies.
ITS also provides students with a variety of support options, including online support information, phone support, and walk-in services in the ITS Service Center.
Key Technology Tips and Resources
New Resources and Information
- Online Success Toolkit - ITS has partnered with leaders throughout campus to provide an Online Success Toolkit to prepare online learners. Topics include getting your computer ready and links to both academic and IT resources.
- Remote Lab Access - Need a remote lab connection? ITS has provided a remote access solution to allow students to access an ITS public lab computer virtually at your convenience. Visit the Remote Desktop Services page for more details or visit rds.syr.edu to log in.
- Get Connected - ITS staff will be available at the check-in line for those living on campus providing our Getting Connected handout and answering your questions. Be sure to save and reference the handout for instructions on getting connected and getting help!
- Zoom at Syracuse - All Syracuse University students can now use Zoom video conferencing. ITS has implemented Zoom to allow users to engage, educate, and collaborate with HD-quality video and audio. Full details, including how to sign in, are available at zoom.syr.edu.
- Kaltura Video Platform - Syracuse University has implemented Kaltura for Education, a leading video platform. Kaltura will be accessible in Blackboard as well as via the web application Kaltura MediaSpace. For complete details, including how to sign in, visit the Kaltura at Syracuse University page.
What To Do Prior to Arriving or Beginning Classes
- Access Your SU Email Account - Official email accounts for students are established in a system called SUmail approximately 24-48 hours after you have accepted admission. Check your SUmail regularly and often.
- Manage Parent/Proxy Accounts - You may be required to have a parent or guardian perform tasks in MySlice such as complete a parent e-signature or make a payment. Following the steps found in Answers to share your MySlice access with a parent or guardian.
- Need a Computer? Check for your school or college's student computer recommendations. Note that computers are available for purchase through the SU bookstore.
- Protect Your Computer - Antivirus software is required for all computers connected to Syracuse University's wired or wireless network. Check out ITS's recommended antivirus software.
- Get to Know IT Policies - Students who use the Syracuse University networks are responsible for reading and understanding the University's Information Technology policies, information regarding file sharing and legal downloading, and ITS' Information Security standards, guidelines, and policies.
What To Do When You Arrive If You Are Living On Campus
- Check Your University Email - ITS will be sending additional information about your resources prior to your arrival via email. This email will provide additional information to assists with getting connected to SU networks, the Internet, cable TV and a wide array of computing and IT services at SU.
- Learn About Campus Living - Find information technology resources and information related to students living in the Syracuse University residence halls or simply on-campus on the Campus Living information page.
- Connect to the University Network - If you need to go beyond the IT'S Connected publication, find the step by step instructions for connecting your device to the SU networks on our Networks home page. ITS support personnel will be walking around the residence halls as you arrive on campus, but don't hesitate to request help.
- Learn How to Use Devices on SU Networks - Students bring a lot of device types to campus including their computers, smart phones, internet connect TVs, and even printers. Be sure you know how to use your devices on the SU network.
- Cable and Phone Services - Standard service is provided by Spectrum in all SU residential facilities. Access instructions are available at its.syr.edu/cabletv. Visit the telecommunications student services page for additional details about cable and telephone services.
Need Help? If you'd like assistance with any of the topics above, or any IT related issue, do not hesitate to request help. ITS consultants are available also available all year long in the ITS Service Center by phone at (315) 443-2677, and by email at email@example.com. You can also search SU's knowledge base, Answers.
Technology Quick Links
Technology for On-Campus Living
Printing at Syracuse University