Welcome, New Students!
Syracuse University's Information Technology Services (ITS) is dedicated to helping you start your computing experience at Syracuse University and providing access to our wide range of computing services and facilities. The steps outlined on this page will guide you from your application through arriving on campus and beyond!
Be sure to follow ITS on Instagram for updates, tips and tricks throughout the semester!
Information As You Arrive On Campus
Living on campus or just arriving? Note the following residence hall and campus technology information!
Please review the ITS Getting Connected webpage to properly connect to networks and IT resources.
Once you are in your room, note the following:
- Connect computers, Android, and iOS devices to AirOrangeX. Full instructions are available at answers.syr.edu/aox.
- Connect all other devices in your residence hall to Gadgets&Games.
- Students living in the Sheraton see our Connecting at the Sheraton page.
- Wired Ethernet is available in each room. Look for the "2TB" label for active ports.
- Connect your TV to the coaxial port and run a channel scan ensuring it is set to CATV or cable. Cable TV information is available at its.syr.edu/cableTV.
- Watch live TV from any browser at watch.spectrum.net. Android, iOS, and Roku apps are also available. Just be sure your device is on a University network.
- Visit maps.syracuse.edu for an interactive map including locating buildings and computer labs.
- More details about technology in the residence halls is available on our Campus Living Answers page.
Need help after you move in? If you haven't looked, check the Getting Connected handout.
Here's how you can get help:
- Call 315.443.2677
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out our request form.
- Visit the ITS Service Center in room 1-227 Center for Science & Technology through the double glass doors off the Milton Atrium. Find hours of operation and other information at its.syr.edu/supportsvc.
- Search answers.syr.edu.
Here are some key technology resources:
Key Technology Steps for New Students
What To Do After You Apply
- Activate Your NetID - Access to the University's computing network and services is controlled by the NetID and password. You should activate your NetID as soon as possible. Management of your NetID and password is performed on the NetID self-service page.
- Get to Know MySlice - MySlice is SU's online portal to critical information and resources for applicants, students, parents, faculty, and staff. Note that your login credentials are your newly acquired NetID and password.
- Manage Parent/Proxy Accounts - You may be required to have a parent or guardian perform tasks in MySlice such as complete a parent e-signature or make a payment. Following the steps found in Answers to share your MySlice access with a parent or guardian.
- Use Our New Student Checklist - New students can download the New Student Checklist for offline reference for key information about technology on and off campus.
What To Do After Acceptance Prior to Arriving or Beginning Classes
- Access Your SU Email Account - Official email accounts for students are established in a system called SUmail approximately 24-48 hours after you have accepted admission. Check your SUmail regularly and often.
- Need a Computer? Check for your school or college's student computer recommendations. Note that computers are available for purchase through the SU bookstore.
- Protect Your Computer - Antivirus software is required for all computers connected to Syracuse University's wired or wireless network. Check out ITS's recommended antivirus software.
- Get to Know IT Policies - Students who use the Syracuse University networks are responsible for reading and understanding the University's Information Technology policies, information regarding file sharing and legal downloading, and ITS' Information Security standards, guidelines, and policies.
- Learn How to Use Devices on SU Networks - Students bring a lot of device types to campus including their computers, smart phones, internet connect TVs, and even printers. Be sure you know how to use your devices on the SU network.
What To Do When You Arrive If You Are Living On Campus
- Review ITS Publications - ITS will be sending additional information about your resources prior to your arrival via email. This email will provide additional information to assists with getting connected to SU networks, the Internet, cable TV and a wide array of computing and IT services at SU.
- Learn About Campus-Living - Find information technology resources and information related to students living in the Syracuse University residence halls or simply on-campus on the Campus Living information page.
- Connect to SU's Network - If you need to go beyond the IT'S Connected publication, find the step by step instructions for connecting your device to the SU networks on our Networks home page. ITS support personnel will be walking around the residence halls as you arrive on campus, but don't hesitate to request help.
- Cable and Phone Services - Standard service is provided by Spectrum in all SU residential facilities. Visit the telecommunications student services page for details about cable and telephone services.
Need Help? If you'd like assistance with any of the topics above, or any IT related issue, do not hesitate to request help. ITS consultants are available also available all year long in the ITS Service Center by phone at (315) 443-2677, and by email at email@example.com. You can also search SU's knowledge base, Answers.