Welcome, New Students!
Syracuse University’s Information Technology Services (ITS) is dedicated to helping you start your computing experience at Syracuse University and providing access to our wide range of computing services and facilities. The steps outlined on this page will guide you from your application through arriving on campus and beyond!
Need Help? If you’d like assistance with any of the topics below, or any IT related issue, do not hesitate to request help. ITS consultants are available also available all year long in the ITS Service Center by phone at (315) 443-2677, and by email at email@example.com. You can also search SU’s knowledge base, Answers.
Download the New Student Checklist for offline reference.
What To Do After You Apply
- Activate Your NetID – Access to the University’s computing network and services is controlled by the NetID and password. You should activate your NetID as soon as possible. Management of your NetID and password is performed on the NetID self-service page.
- Get to Know MySlice – MySlice is SU’s online portal to critical information and resources for applicants, students, parents, faculty, and staff. Note that your login credentials are your newly acquired NetID and password.
- Manage Parent/Proxy Accounts – You may be required to have a parent or guardian perform tasks in MySlice such as complete a parent e-signature or make a payment. Following the steps found in Answers to share your MySlice access with a parent or guardian.
What To Do After Acceptance
- Access Your SU Email Account – Official email accounts for students are established in a system called SUmail once you have accepted admission. Check your SUmail regularly and often.
What To Do Before You Arrive On Campus
- Need a Computer? Check for your school or college’s student computer recommendations. Note that computers are available for purchase through the SU bookstore.
- Protect Your Computer – Antivirus software is required for all computers connected to Syracuse University’s wired or wireless network. Check out ITS’s recommended antivirus software.
- Get to Know IT Policies – Students who use the Syracuse University networks are responsible for reading and understanding the University’s Information Technology policies, information regarding file sharing and legal downloading, and ITS’ Information Security standards, guidelines, and policies.
- Learn How to Use Devices on SU Networks – Students bring a lot of device types to campus including their computers, smart phones, internet connect TVs, and even printers. Be sure you know how to use your devices on the SU network.
What To Do When You Arrive On Campus
- Locate IT’S Connected Publications – When you check into your residence hall you’ll receive a colorful publication that assists with getting connected to SU networks, the Internet, cable TV and a wide array of computing and IT services at SU.
- Connect to SU’s Network – If you need to go beyond the IT’S Connected publication, find the step by step instructions for connecting your device to the SU networks on our connecting home page. ITS support personnel will be walking around the residence halls as you arrive on campus, but don’t hesitate to request help.
- Cable and Phone Services – Standard service is provided by Spectrum in all SU residential facilities. Visit the telecommunications student services page for details about cable and telephone services.